July 25, 2009

nv4_disp stuck in an infinite loop

I'm using a old GeForce 6200 AGP video card on my computer. I'm using latest drivers downloaded from NVIDIA website. Couple of weeks back I got a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Dead) saying "the device driver got stuck in an infinite loop" while loading the desktop icons. It didn't go away no matter what I did. I have tried to look for a answer to fix it from the web but none of them helped me to solve it. So I decided to do it by my own.

First of all I have uninstalled the current drivers. Then I have restart the computer to see if it is booting properly. Without the display drivers computer is working properly. I have used the computer for whole day without display drivers. Nothing happens. So I decided that there is no fault in Video card. Then I have downloaded latest drivers from NVIDIA website. Did a restart and now after that it's giving me the same Blue screen of dead once again.


This time I have uninstalled the drivers once again and went to my video card manufacturers website. My video card was manufactured by MSI. In their web site they also got drivers for this video card. They were little bit older but specifically made for this video card. I have download those drivers and installed it then did a restart to the computer. Did you think it worked ?

No, I got the same blue screen saying "the device driver got stuck in an infinite loop" I was so upset and looked for more solutions to fix it. As my last option I have rebooted my computer and went into advanced boot options by pressing the F8 key while the computer is starting.



I have selected "Enable VGA mode" option. It booted to up to desktop this time without any problem. I have to setup the screen resolution again because default settings were two low. I used my computer for few hours without any problem. Then I have did a restart again to make sure it stays that way. This time it booted on to desktop in normal mode without any problem. I have played few games to make sure it is stable. I played Age of Empires 3, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Need For Speed Undercover and Far Cry 2. Surprising isn't it ? Now even after several weeks past my computer is working fine. So, if anyone having same problem can follow my steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment